I have visited several blogs recently that have posts regarding events that occurred on their birthday throughout history. So, I went to Wikipedia, typed in June 16, and holy moly, a whole lot has gone down on that day!
- 1487 - Battle of Stoke Field, the last dying breath of the Wars of the Roses.
- 1755 - French and Indian War: French surrender Fort Beauséjour to the British, leading to the expulsion of the Acadians.
- 1911 - A 772 gram stony meteorite struck earth near Kilbourn, Columbia County, Wisconsin damaging a barn. (Hence the Superman myth?)
- 1967 - Monterey Pop Festival begins; Monterey, California.
- 1723 - Adam Smith, Scottish philosopher and economist
- 1829 - Geronimo, Apache leader (d. 1909)
- 1917 - Katherine Graham, American publisher (d. 2001). She was at the helm of the Washington Post during the Watergate coverage that lead to Nixon's resignation. You go girl!!
- 1971 - Tupac Shakur, aka 2Pac, American rapper (d. 1996)
- 1996 - My beloved son, Christopher
- Bloomsday, in honor of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.